We declare our shared commitment to unite with all stakeholders in transforming tourism to deliver effective climate action.
We support the global commitment to halve emissions by 2030 and reach Net Zero as soon as possible before 2050.
We will consistently align our actions with the latest scientific recommendations, so as to ensure our approach remains consistent with a rise of no more than 1.5°C above pre-industrial levels by 2100.
As a signatory, we commit to:
- Deliver a climate action plan within 12 month of signing. As part of our own strategic goals, we have already implemented actions to scale-up climate action through our business operations.
- We accept the current IPCC advice stating the need to cut global carbon emissions to 55% below 2017 levels by 2030 to keep the planet within 1.5 degrees of warming.
- Report publicly both progress against interim and long-term targets, as well as the actions being taken, at least annually.
- Align our plan with five shared pathways (measure, decarbonise, regenerate, collaborate, finance) to ensure climate action is consistent across all of tourism.
- We will work with and encourage our guests to make the same declaration; sharing best practice amongst peers; and actively participate in the Tourism Declares community.
- Work in a collaborative and constructive spirit with other members of Tourism Declares and/or signatories of the Glasgow Declaration.
- We will advocate for change. We recognise the need for system change across the tourism industry and we will strive to contribute to, and support, a just transition towards net-zero carbon tourism.
THIS IS OUR DECLARATION FOR 2023 AND BEYOND
We are committed to climate action in the tourism industry, to advocate and accelerate awareness and commitment to climate action, to support others in their journey, to provide access to knowledge and tools to becoming greener, and to build a network that is inclusive to deliver climate action.
We will, at a minimum, be committed to implementing ways to improve our own unique and special accommodation and experiences to minimise our visitor ‘footprint’ on this earth and enrich the experience for ourselves and our guests.
Our commitment to them is
- Sharing information, and supporting our operators to improve their environmental and social performance
- Further promoting ‘local first’ behaviours, to support a sustainable local economy amongst our owners and guests
- Growing community engagement through volunteering and supporting other organisations